Friday, February 24, 2006

Transparent



This guy was sitting in the hospital parking lot, alone for quite a long time, with nothing but his cane and a grocery bag full of personal belongings. I don't know if he was a recent patient, or a visitor, but he looked sad. Not acutely sad, but that chronic ingrained sad. Not as if he'd lost someone today, but perhaps as if he'd lost himself somewhere along the way. I can't swear to it, but he seemed homeless, like he had nowhere to go, nowhere that he really belonged.

When I saw him, sitting on the curb, sort of blending in with the shrubbery, beside a government car which says, even though you can't see it clearly,

"People, Pride, Progress, Partnerships
Mecklenburg County Government"


well, I couldn't resist the picture.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Erin! Greensboro now has an initative to make the city homeless by a certain time. Maybe Charlotte will follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erin, I just read the last day's posts. I thought he was doing Ok, the last time I read it seemed he was. Let's start a prayer circle, everyone- at noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm. Light a candle and for 15 minutes send Nova light and energy, strength.

    I'm starting now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:51 PM

    Erin, there is a reason, just tell me who is Scott's favourite driver? Inquiring minds want to know.

    I think Nova looks beautiful. One day at a time. Hugs babydoll.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having just spent weeks with mom at the hospital, that photo really moved me! I think it takes a very special person to notice humanity when it is right in front of us every day. Bless you for being an angel who sees.

    ReplyDelete