2006 NC State Poetry Contest
The Brenda L. Smart Grand Prize for Poetry: $500
NC POET LAUREATE Kathryn Stripling Byer
Sponsored by the
NC State Creative Writing Program &
the Brenda L. Smart Fund for Creative Writing
Open to all NC residents except
1) tenured faculty of the UNC system or
2) poets with a published book or
3) a previous winner
Winner must be available to read the poem and receive the prize at the NC State Poetry Festival on Wednesday, March 29th.
• You may enter a maximum of three poems.
• Send two copies of each poem. Do not include your name on the poems, but enclose a separate cover sheet with your name, address, phone number, email address, and the titles of your poems.
• All poems should be titled.
• Final poems will be judged anonymously by Kathryn Byer, and results will be posted here after the winners are announced March 29th.
DEADLINE: March 1, 2006
Send submissions to:
NC STATE UNIVERSITY POETRY CONTEST
Department of English
Campus Box 8105
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8105
All poems will be judged "blind." Winning or being a finalist in the contest in no way diminishes your copyright, nor is there any publication associated with the contest. (The Raleigh News & Observer sometimes will run some of the top poems, but that is between you and the newspaper.)
Come join us on March 29th when we present the Brenda L. Smart Grand Prize of $500 to the Winner (who will read his or her poem) and the Honorable Mentions (we have prizes for them, too), before enjoying a reading from Kay Byer herself. This will be at 7:30 p.m. in the Caldwell Hall Lounge, on Hillsborough Street (across from the Bruegger's Bagels). After 5 p.m. the meters on Hillsborough are free; and the faculty North Lot across the street from Winston Hall is open to the public.
tags: poetry, poetry contest, writing contest, writing