Thursday, February 16, 2006

2/16/06

So sue me for a day. They aren't doing the surgery on Monday, they're doing it on Tuesday. We have to be there at 5:00 am. He'll be in surgery by 6:30 and it will take somewhere between 10 and 14 hours to do. Afterward, he'll be sedated for at least 4 days, on a ventilator and IV fluids, plus a myriad of medicines. He'll be on the ventilator for something like a week, depending on his ability to breathe on his own. He'll be in the hospital for something like 3 - 4 weeks. We spent the entire day today at the hospital - going over the surgery, doing pre-op bloodwork and testing.
Ever seen an infant get chest X-rays? Well, I didn't take the camera or I'd have taken pictures of it, but here's a picture from the website of the maker of this contraption that resembles a mideivel torture device. (It's called a Pigg-o-Stat... really silly ass name isn't it?) Nova was not amused with being forcefully held in this postiion - not once, but twice, today. No, not amused at all. Not that he was thrilled with the EKG or the needle in his little pudgy hand either. He didn't give a damn about his little pee-bag though, actually, I think he enjoyed the prolonged state of nekkidness.
Fortunately, the helluvaday he had today means that being home, sans needles and testing apparatus, is a welcome change rather than the boring norm, at least for tonight, and he's pretty damned content, which is always a good thing. So, we decided to take a few pictures. There will most likely be many taken over the next few days. We obviously have to document the last few days before the surgery - I'll probably take a shitload of him shirtless. You know, before the scar. The problem with that is that he's so damned content right now, and been poked and prodded so much today that I don't have it in me to mess with him to get him naked. Let the boy be, you know?

11 comments:

  1. It's a relief that the date is finally set after all this time, but it's still nerve-racking knowing what the aftermath will be like for the little tike. My prayers go with Nova and the whole clan, Erin. (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuesday seems so damn soon! My heart and thoughts are with you guys, E. And remember, if you need anything at all, even if it's just someone to talk to, I'm only a phonecall away at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:15 PM

    THAT PIECE OF MEDICAL EQUIPMENT WITH THE SILLY NAME (PIGG-0-STAT) SAVED YOUR BABY FROM GETTING MORE RADIATION FROM X-RAYS THAN HE NEEDED. RADIATION BUILDS IN THE BODY, IT NEVER DISSIPATES. ANY EQUIPMENT THAT CAN HOLD AN INFANT STILL SO ONE FILM CAN BE MADE INSTEAD OF MAKING 3 OR 4 BECAUSE OF SQUIRMING IS WORTH THE ANGER OF A CHILD. BY THE WAY, IT WAS NAMED AFTER THE INVENTOR. JALMER PIGG WHO WAS AN X-RAY TECH AT LEBONHEUR CHILDRENS HOSPITAL IN MEMPHIS, TN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of my experience with my son before he passed away:
    A. I understand what purpose it served.
    B. It STILL looks like a torture device
    C. I know where it got it's name
    D. It's STILL a silly friggin' name
    E. Why are you posting anonymously, in all caps, like you're pissed off about something, I mean damn, are YOU the inventor with a complex about your invention and/or name? Seeing as you're from Waynesboro Tennessee, I'd bet you're probably family of the esteemed inventor right?
    F. How often do you do MSN web searches for PIGG-O-STAT, and is it always so you can yell at people who make fun of the name?
    G. Do you ever read other entries, to find things out like, oh I don't know, that my son is dead and I don't need your bullshit!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes.

    Anonymous people.
    Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this post, but forgot about the ridiculous name, "Pigg-o-stat." I was thinking, when I read it (a couple of months ago already?) that I had no clue about how frightening motherhood can get and that I must have looked like a complete wuss when 2 year old Moose was "papoosed" for a dental exam after banging his teeth on monkey bars.

    Anon -- there's a time and a place for showing off your superior medical knowledge, and that would be med school. Otherwise, you run the risk of offending when you aim to impress.

    Must've failed "Tact 101" freshman year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yeah. Those anon commentors - priceless!
    Idiot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous:

    "Mr. Magee, you wouldn't like me when angry."

    What a condesending fuck you are. Talking to my friend that way. She is a very intellegent woman who, as she said, doesn't need your bullshit!


    You know what I'm way above this, but hey,

    Fuck off outta here!

    And don't come back!

    jwatkins1@ivytech.com

    sir_james@iglou.com

    James Eric Watkins
    PO Box 81, Milton KY 40045
    (502) 255-4709

    Fucking try me sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, on the other hand, can't spell condescending or intelligent, when my mind is racing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jalmer pigg sr is my great grandfather and yea the pigg name is silly but we didn't choose it and also jalmer pigg sr made millions on that silly pigg-o-stat and they are still being made and used today in 2013 check out the pediagraph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jalmer Pigg Sr is my uncle and he and my dad invented this in 1962 it is our name and i am very proud of it ! i dont think it is silly at all !!! People study your History and dont make fun of anyone name i have affended by these remarks ! if you have any questions or anything else to say Please contact e on Facebook thank you Sarah PIGG Cable!

    ReplyDelete