Thursday, June 29, 2006

the list grows

Nova, Alexis, Chloe, Zoe, Samuel, Jacob, Zev, Ethan, Colin, Jack... now Corbin and Jake, and how about Logan?

I've been watching the updates on 2 heart babies in Michigan: Corbin and Jake. They both passed away in the same hospital within the last 12 or so hours. There's another whose blog I'm watching and commenting on as they go through their son's surgery, his name is Logan. They've not updated in 2 days. I'm hoping that no news is good news, but in truth, his surgery was somewhat emergent, which means he was weaker than normal to begin with, and I'm worried. I can't help but think that my own experiences have effected how I react to others' situations, that I overreact and worry too much, that I become overly emotionally involved. Not that it matters why really, I'm all tied up in these families' stories, and I sincerely hope that my "vibes" are getting through to them all tonight.

It's days like this when I realize all over again how desperately we need more funding and research. I have direct knowledge of and/or contact with at least 10 families who've lost children to a congenital heart defect in the last 6 months or so. It's just so unfair that so many families have to lose their children. 21st century United States, and our children are dying left and right because we don't know how to save them.

No comments:

Post a Comment