Thursday, May 26, 2005

Poetry Readings

So, open mic nights, poetry readings, book signings and self-promotion seem to loom large in my future. With that in mind I went on an internet search for local venues that would be receptive to my style of poetry. That means that the poetry slams are obviously out of the question, I am not a slam artist. It also means that one of the few I found - an african american venue that celebrates their heritage and flavor wouldn't quite be appropriate for me. I don't rap, my poetry hasn't ever addressed any african american issues (human issues, yes, but none that were specifically african american) and my pseudo jamaican accent is really lousy.

However, I did find several that looked promising, if I can manage to squeak my odd schedule around enough to be free and get the kids taken care of and such. I figure I stand a chance, since they're late in the evening. The most interesting was in the Barnes and Noble at the Arboretum on the first Tuesday of each month. I'd want to attend one to see what it's like first, before I actually read anything.

Another thing that bothers me is the length of my poems. From what I can tell, most readings have a 3 minute limit, my poems, many of them, would take all of 30 seconds to read, twice. So what do I do? Do I read a couple different poems that are all related - or on the same subject?

Sheesh, I should get out every once in a while you know it?

7 comments:

  1. Bring a few poems, like five or so. Talk a little about them--maybe how you camr to write them, people love gossip (or at least i do!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Barnes and Nobel gig sounds about right. I would take some poems with you, even if you just want to listen - you might find you wanna just do it, and you should be prepared. Give a lil talk before each, that'll stretch them out, but watch that you be concise - I tend to ramble and lose my audience before I even start singing. Those who weren't lost in the ramble I usually lose when I start singing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, why didn't I think of this before? Your bio on your blog is fine writing for a press release. Just send it to your local paper, or find some arts papers. Add the url where people can find your chapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Razz! The cool thing about MotM is that they will do press releases to anyone I list - and I haven't sent that back to her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you'll get a all figured out; I have no doubt. Much success, E!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks V. I'll work up the nerve eventually, and with friends like you guys, always routing me on, and giving me advice and stuff, I'll figure out all the stuff I'm so ridiculously clueless about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, an interesting concept, sounds like a good thing... not what I thought, but still worth looking into. Thanks Tripp!

    ReplyDelete