Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Legalities, autographs and fear, oh my!

I have some questions about my chapbook stuff. I need to email my publisher.

I wish there were some way to know how many books are sold. I mean, first, I'm chronically nosey, and impatient.
Second - I'm a firm believer in CYA (cover your ass)

The contract doesn't mention how much it cost to publish this thing, and I think that amount has to be paid before I start getting my cut. I need to find out exactly how that works.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I have never in my life been asked for an autograph, and I almost feel silly to say that I've been asked twice today! I'm seriously not a celebrity people, it's JUST a chapbook. But I won't deny that it's kind of cool to think a stranger would want to meet me and actually ask for my autograph.

In one of those conversations, the person mentioned readings and signings. I am so petrified of reading or speaking to crowds. I don't know how I'll ever get on stage! And hell, I have only been able to find one open mic around here in the year I've been wanting to go to one (to watch-not read!)

What have I gotten myself into?!

Legalities, autographs and fear, oh my!

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Correction, you aren't a celebrity....YET.
    And your own words said "Secondly, it will force me to come out of this hermit shell I live in, because in order to sell the ones I'll get, I'll have to go to readings and such, and sell it myself. The idea of reading in front of a crowd is terrifying to me!"

    But the rewards are so worth it aren't they?

    And most importantly, you have already opened the door, now it is time to go trough it and into the next room. No sense in going where you ahve already been, the only things left are those you ahvn't done yet right?
    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol look here Ms Anonymous! You don't have to be so smart or philosophical, or so damn right! :P

    You have no idea how PHOBIC I am of public speaking!

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought one online last night, Erin, so you had better get your share from mine!!! Grrrrrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you'll be fine - the work speaks for itself, you're just the vessel so that ears can hear it ~read~ the way the author would - cuz that's who you are! Go public read! Piece of cake, hon! ~ML!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it isn't that I believe I'll be screwed, I'm sure I'll get my cut from you lol, I just learned a long time ago to cover my ass - cuz generally no one else is going to!

    ~E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:25 AM

    Hehe. I'm phobic and a hermit too much sometimes too. It's easy to preach, harder to listen to the sermon. Read some of my words, I know you have, I am a bundle of ISSUES! LOL! And I talk to myself in my posts and even worse, I talk back to myself in the same ones!
    gmail loves you even when other servers don't, I am penning a reply as I speak.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh lord girl, issues. . . I have too many to count. Most of my problems stem from my control issues though. Anything I can't control scares me - and I can't control the audience's reaction to my poetry, hence, the fear.

    It's horrible isn't it? I'd make a counselor rich!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perils of the awareness that you're different or creative or artistic - we certainly are different, us folk. >sigh<

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, the good thing about public reading is it generates sales...:) When a musician releases an album the first thing they ususally do is go on tour. I'd suggest practicing reading your poem in the mirror - that way you at least know how you look, and expressive readings are best. Also, send a blurb to the local paper - that way people know you're out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, and put a link to your chapbook on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya berry :) The links I added like 5 minutes after I found out the page was up... the readings, well... yeah. I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ok, NOW i see it - ignore me, I looked for it in the links section. And that was my deleted comment...cos I didn't want everybody to know what a dorky nearsighted berry I am...sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:00 PM

    Yay, you are now The Famed E, not just the regular old E. Try doing your reading in the nude. I am not sure why, I just think it would work for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There ya go Razz, how's that for obvious and obnoxious sales tactics ;)

    Dougie-poo! I am not famous damn it! lol and if I get naked, I'll DEFINITELY lose what little audience I have!

    ReplyDelete