Sunday, November 27, 2005

so many doctors, so little time.

Randy seems like he's doing really well lately. Still taking chemo, still waiting for a donor, but he seems stronger, not just physically, but emotionally too. He and his wife have to go to Boston this Wednesday. The doctors who will be doing the transplant want to meet him and get to know a little more about him personally. Plus, they want to get a feel for the hospital and the city and everything.

A little day trip preview I guess. Hope it doesn't snow. I thought they had to go last week, and it was snowing in Troy that day, not sure about Boston. Silly me sat here worrying about them until she emailed me the next day and told me that it was THIS Wednesday.

(duh! lol)

He goes tomorrow to his regular doctor for a bone marrow aspiration so they can see how he's doing on the chemo and Gleevec. The idea of that bone marrow aspiration absolutely makes me cringe. They say it's very painful, and he has to do it regularly. Anyway, we expect to hear good news from that because he seems outwardly at least to be doing so much better.

I go tomorrow to talk to the pediatric cardiologist about the "probable course of action" with Donovan. I realize they aren't going to be able to give me anything concrete until he's born and he's had his ECG and possibly a cardiac catheterization - but I'm hoping I'll feel a little better being able to put faces with names and shake the hands that I'm trusting to save my son's life. There are only 10 days now. A month ago it seemed like I had forever to go, now suddenly it's going so fast.

Tuesday it's back to my regular doctor for my weekly poke-n-prod. I'm glad I have a little bit of knowledge and the nosiness to ask about things when I'm in doubt. The new doctor wants to make me redo all these tests and stuff that I've already done with my other doctor. I've saved myself all sorts of torture by being able to say, "I've already had that test!"

We haven't told the kids yet - we just didn't see any reason to make them worry and be afraid and helpless for weeks like we we do. I just don't know when we will tell them. Before he's born or after? I don't know. Probably after when there's something more solid to tell them. It all gets so complicated and touchy, and there just aren't any good answers.

And I've got to get over this cold or whatever it is I have, or I won't even be able to hold him when he's born.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, you have to get well. BTW, that horoscope thingy gave me hope. I described him, not problem free, but surviving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I have no idea where you find the strength for everything you do. Just keeping up the chipper facade with the other kids has to be torture enough. (I do think it's the right decision, though.)

    Anyway, I am praying for you & and your entire family. Thanks for the update on Randy. I was curious how he was doing, but sort of afraid to ask.

    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:42 AM

    If only my magic wand worked in NC, I could wave it and make everything "all better". As it is, just know that many people; friends, family and strangers alike are holding you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your holiday was nice E. You know we're also struggling here with our family literally torn apart by mental illness and my brother-in-law's Wilson's disease, but for some reason I tend to think of your blog as one so much more positive than mine. We and ours are in my prayers, hon. My very best to you. HUGZ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:41 PM

    Hey chickie..Congrats and I am so happy that all is well with you and your newest gift.

    I have been trying to reach you, si I thought I would go through here. You seem to be keeping things on top.

    Good Luck and hope to hear from you soon.

    HUGGGZZZZ~D~

    ReplyDelete