Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

I've spent 2 days ignoring this plastic box on my desk. Partially because I was busy with Thanksgiving, partially because I've been sick as a dog, but mostly just because I needed to.99% of the time, the PC is a way to get to people and places I love, my personal little network neighborhood. Sometimes though, sometimes it feels like an addiction, like I need to get on it, and that's when I know that what I actually need to do is take some time off. Hence the last 2 days.

So we cooked, and cooked, and cooked. Nope, Erin - I didn't leave in the giblets, not this year anyway ;)
The first time I made Thanksgiving dinner on my own, my first husband's parents were in town for the holidays and I was "entertaining." I thought things had gone amazingly smoothly until my father-in-law started carving the turkey, while I loaded up the table. I knew we had a problem when he (and everyone else) started laughing hysterically. I could have cried, I was so embarrassed.

Anyway, yesterday came with no surprises and no disasters - mainly because my mother did most of the cooking while I tried to decide whether to I was going to survive this "thing" I have. It can't be the flu because I had the flu shot a few weeks ago, but I'll be damned if it doesn't feel like the flu. I'm still feeling pretty rough, but I'm not so bad today.

I have a knack for getting sick on holidays. Not just the sniffles either. One Christmas (about 10 years ago now) I actually slept through Christmas, and the following 2 days because I was so sick.

Anyway, while I suffered and Ma cooked, Scott hung lights and decorations out in the yard and around the eaves, which we lit as soon as it got dark. Then we ate, and ate and ate - then we put up the tree. I still haven't finished the inside decorations, but I worked on the tree till damn near 2am. Maybe I'll take pictures later and post them, but fair warning, I'm a lousy photographer.

I wish I could stop coughing, I've coughed till I'm sore and still keep coughing. And I'm so damn thirsty!

So I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, giblets and all, be they cooked in plastic, or in gravy :) And I sincerely hope that none of you are nuts enough to be out shopping today! You couldn't pay me enough to go out today. The traffic, the crowds... nuh uh!

Now I'm off to reply to all my neglected email and comments.


  1. Oh, no! You're not off the hook, girlie!!

    I knew we had a problem when he (and everyone else) started laughing hysterically.

    Laughing hysterically at what?

  2. lmao at my giblets, wrapped in plastic and roasted inside my turkey!


  3. I've done that - maybe it's a rite of passage!

  4. Well, I won't do it again, that's for sure! A plastic bag of guts cooked inside a carcas is a bit nastier than I like to get in the kitchen!

  5. Oh I was at the mall at 7:00 this morning. Hee!

  6. Anonymous6:15 PM

    Oh honey, I've left in the plastic bag way too many times to count, and left the neck stuck out of the neck opening and one year...I cooked the turkey for three hours before I realized I had not turned on the oven yet.....
    Just look at it as added flavour :)
    Happy belated turkey day love, you are in my thoughts constantly.