Wednesday, November 2, 2005

The News So Far

All of Scott's sisters and brother had their blood drawn on Thursday morning, Scott's wasn't drawn until Friday, so his results are a bit behind the rest, but so far, without Scott's results, we know that none of the others are a perfect match for the bone marrow transplant. Their oldest sister is a partial match, and might be a possibility. We're still waiting for the results from Scott's tests. Hopefully we'll know tomorrow if he matches more closely, and is therefore a better candidate for donating.

Everyone has said, from a completely non-medical point of view, that Scott and Randy would be a perfect match because they're so much alike, both physically and mentally/emotionally - they're like 2 peas in a pod. Let's hope they really are, even on a genetic level. At this point Scott may be the only real chance they have out of the siblings.

Just because I need it, I'm going to tell a funny story that ought to tell you how much alike they are.

The first time I met Randy, we had gone to New York for one holiday or another, who remembers, maybe it was a just 'cuz trip, but it was the first time I met Randy, the second time I'd met their mother, and we were staying with her. Since we live 850 miles away, visits with Scott were like holidays in and of themselves for the family, and everyone would pile into her house and hang out and Connie would make breakfast and it would just be a hectic chaotic everyone-everywhere-trying-not-to-trample-any-kids sort of time.

This time, Randy showed up early, as in, we were barely awake, no one had made coffee yet sort of early, and I was still a little disoriented, feeling out of place, and I'll even admit to being clingy. I barely let Scott out of my sight. So, at one point, I toddle off to the little girl's room, and come back out, and there, at the microwave with his back to me is a man I believe to be Scott. Silly cutesy clingy me decides to walk up behind him and say hi... with, of course, what else, but a discreet lil ass-grab.

Thank you God in that last half a second I looked up and realized that the hair was just a half shade too dark to be Scott's! Now THAT would have been a great way to impress Scott's brother, yes? Ugh! I was so so embarrassed! And that was even with having avoided the disaster! Now I laugh about it, even Scott laughs at me about it. . . but then, oh man was I mortified!

But that is how much alike they look, walk, stand, talk, and carry themselves. They're like twins, only with a few years between them.

Anyway, hopefully we'll know tomorrow about Scott's results and it'll be good news. We've all decided.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:06 AM

    Who am I to argue when it has been decided? Here is to good news! Thinking of you love, if you need anything, let me know.
    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the spirit! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said it once and I'll say it again -- there is much power in positive thought. Though I don't say it as much as I should, please know I am thinking of you, e.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Erin, I agree that there's much power in positive thought, and hell, if we're wrong, we sure didn't hurt anything by trying eh?

    ML~
    ~E

    ReplyDelete