Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Martin the Musician.

The other day I got an international package in the mail. Just getting a package makes my little day, I'm easily pleased. But this package folks was from our one and only Martin Locock, man of many talents. We already knew he was published in the realm of architecture books. (I'm sure there is a better word for that but I'm at a loss for the moment.) And we already knew that he's a poet, and a blogger, but who knew he could sing!?

Yup. The package was a tape of his songs entitled "Say It Isn't So."

Now I've never made any secret of the fact that I love accents, but his English accent, set to music, somehow puts me in the mind of Pink Floyd, which set me into a remniscent mellow sort of mood (which was just enhanced by the grittiness of the sound quality - I think CD's have been over rated!) and put a big grin on my face. He starts with "Calling Like a Stranger" which really sets the tone for the whole tape. Now, in his note he warns me that he can't sing, which as far as I can tell is pure English modesty, or a good ole crock'o'shit because I thoroughly enjoyed each song.

Now, what prompted Martin to send me a tape of love songs? Well over at his blog he posted a poem/lyrics called "Have to Remember to Forget You" to which I replied that I'd like very much to hear with the music. Track number six on this tape is just that, and though it wasn't what I heard in my head when I read it (in my head, Toby Keith sang it, country style) it really is well done.

My favorite is track 2 though, "Say Somebody Loved You" because it's beautiful and pained and feels very real. Somehow his crooning took on a whole different texture with that song, and I just keep listening to it. It feels like, oh here I go getting corny but damn it, it feels like true love - the kind that ends with one person loving the other enough to let them go and wish them well... Know what I mean? Really just beautiful.

So, now I'm feeling all mushy, and I want to thank Martin for that, and for this tape, I'll cherish it, right up until it just won't play anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting. Look forward to seeing you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful surprise. I think that is so sweet of him. You deserve it.

    Btw, I got my dvds today...yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, shucks. If anyone else wants a copy, go to my blog and say so!

    ReplyDelete