Monday, July 11, 2005

Randomocity

When I was young (and never has that seemed so long ago as it does now) I would dream. When I was young, I had a job, and that is what I would dream about - work. Now that may seem a good thing, better at least, if my job had been sophisticated or exciting. I have been a waitress for as long as I can remember and I have always loved the job, but it doesn't make for good dream material. I would wake at absurd hours of the morning and night with panicked remembrances of forgotten condiments and refills unfilled. And I would lay in bed after waking and worry that the customer who left so horribly mistreated as to have gone without his mustard would only remember that single thing. Not the good food or the atmosphere, but the grievous lack of service.

It sounds pitiful, but it's the truth. Luckily, I don't forget things often, not in a working situation anyway. Perhaps that was a beneficial side effect of the dreams?

Now, I am unemployed, and not totally unhappily so, and I don't dream, or at least, I rarely remember it if I do. But when I do remember them, they are beautiful, and often bits of them find their way here, woven into my poetry. And if you're wondering what, if any, point there is to this entry, I suppose I'd have to say that it must be that I miss my work, or that I enjoy my new-found pleasant dreams - or maybe just that I wish I was sleeping more.

4 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, E, I understand completely. Take care of you best you can my dear and we are out here and we care and we are listening and empathize. 'Specially those of us who relate. Thank you for your kind attention to my day in email at MTC and even her, sweetie. I love ya dearly! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally, I dream about whatever is stressing me out the most. When I was in high school, I wored the register at the local hole-in-the-wall convenience store. I used to get a huge line of people who needed gas, lottery tickets, movies (we had rentals), etc., and the phone would ring and ring and ring... I would often dream that I had fallen asleep at the register and the customers were about to riot. Then, when I worked in the produce dept., I would dream that I had fallen asleep in a pile of iceberg lettuce on top of my cart. So I guess I dream about being tired. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't operated a cash register in 14 years and I still have anxiety dreams about totaling it out, changing the tape, disgruntled customers waiting as I screw up their sale over and over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:15 PM

    I used to have the same dream of trying to wander about the high school to find my classes but being totally lost, every year, from about the time I entered 7th grade to...well, about 5 years ago, well after I was out of high school. If I had only known that the key to beautiful dreams is to not work... no, wait, I didn't work too much then, either..

    ReplyDelete