Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Poem, from 1 year and 3 months ago

Unnoticed
© 2007 Erin Monahan


Summer passed without the fireflies
and mostly without campfires too.

There seemed to be only fire ants and sweat
and a few gatherings with friends --
some of whom have since moved on, like hope
for thunderstorms on unbearable August evenings.

Now Autumn stands at the edge of the yard,
hands held behind its back, shyly kicking at the dust
like the new boy who isn't quite welcome
at the neighborhood Labor Day picnic.

And I wish I could run to him, laughing
and pull him onto the back of my bicycle and ride off,
playing cards snapping in the spokes,
let our hair blow back into July afternoons,
back to roasted marshmallows, and watermelon
that dripped, unnoticed, onto our shirts.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing poem, makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry too.

    Goddamn good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem. Are you putting together another book?

    Do you remember the blog we once shared with a fellow from Lebanon, an architect who lives now in Philadelphia? He was a poet. Do you remember his name or the name of his blog?

    Have a Happy New Year, my friend. I hope all things go well for you in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you--he's the one! When I lost my blogroll, I lost track of him. He is sort of my touchstone with happenings in the Middle East. And, a good poet, besides!

    ReplyDelete