Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Matthew 7:1-5

Matthew 7:1-5 I don't understand the herd mentality of religion - or the way some people absorb an opinion or feeling from church or the bible that they can't explain, and call it "faith." (Don't understand it, or why? Too bad, believe it and act on it anyway because "God" said so, OR ELSE!!! ...baaa baaaa...) I guess I just figure that if you have an opinion you should be able to explain it without spouting a non-answer or inexplicable source. You can't tell me that something is wrong because God said so and expect me to accept that as an answer if I don't believe in your God, right?

And my lifestyle isn't wrong for me just because you and the other herd members believe it is. Period. So you don't have to be who I am or do what I do if it's against your religion - why do you feel you have the self-righteous all mighty right to tell me what I can or can't or should or shouldn't do!?

*shrug*
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from others"

What really gets me the most though is people who are so threatened by intelligent discussion that factual points and alternative opinions are seen as personal attacks.

It isn't any one religion that bothers me so much as when people feel superior based on their faith. As if they are the only right person in the room, and only those who don't question them are worthy of their friendship.

So I disagree with you, I don't believe that one book with some mythological legendary type "history" is (or should be) how we all judge right from wrong, and worthy from unworthy - nor do I feel you have the right to force it on me, no matter how right you think you are, or how much better than me you believe yourself to be.

I question anything that cannot be proven to me. I question even more when I've seen proof that works to disprove that opinion. And I will voice that opinion just like any other. Needless to say, that means I'm not welcome at certain get togethers, and it amuses me that those who deem me unwelcome don't see how that reflects on them - that they are too ignorant and self-righteous to even defend or attempt to explain their views in an intelligent and well thought out way... Nope, too busy following along and believing something they can't even explain to themselves, let alone anyone else.

So anyway, I'm ranting, but it is the total and complete lack of answers that bothers me with religion - and that holier than thou attitude that bothers me about some religious people.

1 comment:

  1. Well said.

    Have you ever read this little piece of satire:

    Dear Dr. Laura:

    Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I
    have learned a great deal from your show and try to share that knowledge
    with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual
    lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22
    clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

    I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other
    specific laws and how to follow them.

    1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They
    claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

    2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

    3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
    period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how
    do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

    4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

    5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

    6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

    7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

    8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

    9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

    10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

    I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

    Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is
    eternal and unchanging.

    Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete