Friday, July 27, 2012

Also, I may suck as a manager

So I have been at a new restaurant in Mint Hill since they opened last September. Over the last 10 months, I've been moved up from waitress, to trainer, and now, part time, to a management position, which I enjoy - most of the time. But I find that, having started there as a waitress, and having been friends with my co-workers, it's difficult to get the level of respect I need from them in order to be effective at my job.

Right now, as things stand, I kind of suck at my job because it's impossible to get them to do what needs to be done (or, more realistically, to get them to NOT do the things they aren't supposed to do) because I'm just Erin, not "The Manager." Making the transition from peer to supervisor is proving harder than I expected, and apparently, it's going to require me being a hard ass bitch a few times.

I'm not going to like it, but I think it's just a necessity. This makes me less than happy, because I don't want to end friendships, but I simply have to redefine some relationships, redraw some lines... or quit.

And that's not an option, because I love my job, and I love my co-workers.

I guess no one ever said anything in life was simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment