Friday, July 30, 2010

I think I feel too much...

When I start a new job (as a waitress, that happens fairly frequently, it isn't exactly a career known for longevity) I know within a week whether I love it or not. If I don't, frankly, I move on - life is too short to work at a place where I'm miserable - there are tables in every restaurant, and I can find a restaurant where I can be happy. With that said, once I find a place, I tend to be a long timer. I take pleasure in my job, as crazy as that may sound. I also take pride in it. I am a loyal conscientious employee and I work at places where I can CARE about my job, my customers, and my co-workers. And I'm not afraid to tell you, I'm good at what I do. Damn good. As in, I run circles around my co-workers.

I am also happy to help them, I'll get drinks, help carry their food out, whatever they need. And at the end of the night, I'm usually the last one to leave because I do a run through and make sure everything is done. I tend to get the reputation as the one to call when ever a shift needs to be covered too. Oh, someone called out last minute? Call Erin, she'll come in with no notice! And don't take this all the wrong way either - I do all of this without resentment or expectation of special treatment.

But god damn, ya know, EQUAL treatment would be nice. Why do the catty bitches who don't help anyone, call out all the time, and want to leave early (without doing their sidework) get fucking special treatment????

Well, after being a waitress for 18 years, after always having the same work ethic, I learned a lesson tonight:

the lazy, ill-tempered, entitled people get special treatment while those of us that bust our fucking asses get the shit end of the stick. I need to do my job, only my job, stop being nice, helpful, conscientious, loyal, friendly, and for gods sake, STOP CARING.

I'm sick of being taken advantage of, taken for granted, and being treated like I am less-than. Fuck that. 10 months on this job, and yep, the bitches have managed to break me.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly, 'tis the way of the world-- the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A question of victimisation and bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't lettem E honey! You're better than that! AGree with every single thing you sdaid in this post, girl. And I know exactly how that feels. Last in, first out? Been there done that. And after 21 years at the same firm, I get replaced by a computer and my job responsibilities get absorbed. I must have been the ugly step-child in that corrporate / family / equation. Today is two years to the day I got word I'd be let go in a month. Start looking for a new job, buster! *SIGH!* Nothing lasts forever. The good or the bad, hon. Take it easy and take it slow. I'm trying to. *HUGS!* yer Moontown Cafe pal, MikeyC

    ReplyDelete