Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fool's '08

Ha! I didn't fall for ANYONE'S practical joke today.

Primarily because no one tried to put one over on me.

I started a new job today. I wasn't thrilled about going back to work to be honest, but you know, you do what you gotta do... but I got there, and 45 minutes into the shift, I go out to smoke with Karissa and Rick (The owner's son and his fiancee) and listen to 10 minutes of them ranting about the fact that anyone who isn't white and American born is trash, no good, nasty, useless and doesn't deserve to breathe. Not a great way to start out. I'm a little weird about bigotry, ignorance, racism and blatant stupidity. But I figure I didn't want to go back to work, and maybe I'm judging too harshly, you know? I should stop jumping to conclusions and give them a chance right?

I mean, it's part time night work running a register and delivering food, not a lifelong career...

Did I say night shift? Yes, I MUST have said night shift, because I don't have a sitter for days... except that I work DAY SHIFT Thursday through Monday!?!?!?!

*sigh*

So, whatever. I'll see how it goes.

Tonight my goal is to send AHA donation requests to all the teachers at Kassi and Brendon's schools. So I better stop yacking and start emailing!

2 comments:

  1. I'd have taken it as a sign to quit the job. Not the most practical thing to do, but that's what my brain would have said. Especially if it's not what I wanted to be doing.

    I sure wish you could get paid what you deserve for your writing.
    And you're such a brilliant organizer and motivator, I really wish you'd get snatched up for your exceptional talents...but this day and age, economy, hardships, etc.etc., those dreams are harder met. Feels a little 'every man for himself.'
    Anyway. Good luck with the emails. I hope to see your tally rise.
    Ours is slowly going up--
    If you get at all frustrated, PLEASE add our total to yours. You inspired us and we consider you our sister team in the south.

    All my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a couple of those types of folks where I work, and they nauseate me. But they're idiots, bottom line. And I have no problem stepping in and telling them how I feel about them, and how their racist, bigoted comments are being overheard by a lobby full of folks, at least half of which are probably not native-born or 100% anglo. Just smile, they're a dying breed.

    But honestly, it doesn't sound like this particular job is going to work out. A night shift job with Th-Mon days?! WTF?

    I agree with Ange above- you're an excellent motivator and a fabulous writer. Is there a job out there that could really use your talents?

    Love you, E.

    ReplyDelete